Claustros de Santo Domingo
One of the jewels of gothic architecture in Andalusia and a first class venue for cultural events. It was originally an old Islamic fortification and in 1264, King Alfonso X the Wise handed it to the Dominican Order, who began the construction of a convent which was completed in 1595.
The convent of Santo Domingo remained intact until 1835 when different confiscations at the hands of liberal governments in the reign of Isabel II decreed its secularization and seized the possessions of the convent. In the same year, the Mendízabal expropriations meant the expulsion of the Dominicans and the private sale of the convent.
In 1983 it became property of the Town Council. Its outstanding feature is its beautiful cloister surrounded by grand galleries and spaces used for cultural events and exhibitions.